A foreigner wishing to shoot film in Ethiopia should submit a written application to the Ministry of Information before arrival.
The application shall contain, among other things:
• The name of the company
• The names, passport numbers, and nationalities of the film crew
• The purpose and title of the film
• The duration of the shooting and exact locations where it will take place
• The production costs of the film
• The name and telephone number of the contact person or organization in Ethiopia
Along with the application, the applicant shall submit the following:
• A copy of the film’s script and/or the synopsis if it’s a feature or documentary film
• Four copies of the list of equipment necessary for the shoot
• A passport size photograph at arrival
A foreigner applying to shoot film in Ethiopia shall pay the Ministry of Information a permit fee.
Where an applicant wishes to use an aircraft for shooting a film, he should obtain a flight permit from the Ethiopian Civil Aviation Authority.
The application for filming should be addressed to the Ministry of Information’s Press License Department
•The permit and letter to customs shall be issued immediately when the film’s crew members appear in person and sign an agreement to adhere to the conditions of permit and to respect the laws of the country.
•For more details, see film shooting permit Council of Ministers Regulations 66/2000.
•Further information can be obtained by contacting:
P.O. Box 1364
ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA