For the past dozen years or so Damian Armstrong has been working in and around the South African media industry, writing and directing many diverse projects.
He’s the current Creative Director of the MTN SA Music Awards, having worked on three SAMAs. He has directed many different videos for numerous blue chip clients, as well as few music videos, large-scale events and commercials. He has written witty words for TV sitcoms, live theatre, magazines websites, brochures, TV and radio commercials and just about everything else; and has also worked on a number of documentaries.
He has a BADA (Hons) from WITS, has won a couple of NTVA Awards and has been a finalist at the Loeries.
Career highlights include:
- Creative Director for SAMA 14 and SAMA 15 and Video Creative Director for SAMA 13.
- Writing and directing Copa Coca-Cola Football Stars, a 10-part documentary series about youth football, shot in 8 African countries.
- Writing and directing ex-Vodacom CEO Alan-Knott Craig’s farewell documentary.
- Writing and directing a series of broadcast stings for Johnnie Walker’s Striding Man competition.
- Directing Tamara Dey’s music video for De Beers and the subsequent Shining Light Show at Cape Town Fashion Week.
- Writing and directing the opening ceremony for the 2007 SA Tourism Indaba.
- Directing Harry Oppenheimer’s official life documentary, commissioned by Anglo American.
- Creating the videos for Janice Honeyman’s once-off theatre piece The Art of Life commissioned for Standard Bank’s Young Artists’ Awards.
- Directing the videos for three consecutive Telkom ICT Journalist of the Year Awards.
- Launching the Coca-Cola Outdoor Spectacular – the largest billboard in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Writing and directing the launch of Mazda 3.
- Writing and directing the video for the launch of Renault Clio III.